KS3 Information Technology
KS4 Computer Science
Exam Board: GCSE (9-1) Computer Science Pearson Edexcel Level 1/Level 2 GCSE (9-1) in Computer Science (1CP1)
What percentage of the exam contributes towards the full GCSE?
The course has been broken down into six terms. Over the course, lessons are split into the six topics in the subject content.
What we are learning about in Computer Science
• Understanding of binary representation, data representation, data storage and
compression, encryption and databases
• Understanding of components of computer systems; ability to construct truth tables,
produce logic statements and read and interpret pseudo-code
• Understanding of computer networks, the internet and the worldwide web
• Understanding of what algorithms are, what they are used for and how they work;
ability to interpret, amend and create algorithms
• Understand the requirements for writing program code.
Where can I find key resources to help me prepare towards my exams?
Please click on the links below to access useful websites:
Useful books and revision guides
1. Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Computer Science Textbook ISBN: 978-1-292-12588-6
(Official exam board textbook- in-depth coverage of the core components of the GCSE developing problem solving and computational thinking)£18.17
2. Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Computer Science Revision Guide ISBN: 978-1-292-13120-7
(Techniques for answering harder questions complete coverage of the new specification including brand-new topics Visual explanations of key concepts help you revise quickly and recall key skills in your exams) £5.99
3. Edexcel GCSE (9-1) Computer Science Revision Workbook ISBN: 978-1-292-13119-1
(one-to-one page match with the revision guide so you can find the practice you need quickly and easily, guided practice questions on every page demonstrate good technique and build confidence) )£5.99
Any other advice?
Students need to continually practice their programming skills at home by revising and revisiting techniques using python.
Students should use past paper examples to help familiarise themselves with exam based questions and techniques. Exam papers can be sought online or from Mr Islam.
Students should have a clear revision timetable in place and practice regularly, look at effective individual revision techniques.