Key Stage 4
Pupils follow the Eduqas GCSE 9-1 specification.
They will cover units that develop their understanding of the use of research methods by sociologists to investigate topics including: family, crime, education and social stratification.
The topics studied include:
Understanding Social Processes
- Key sociological concepts
- Debates over the acquisition of identity
- The process of socialisation
- Family diversity and different family forms in the UK and within a global context
- Social changes and family structures
- Social changes and family relationships
- Sociological theories of the role of the family
- Criticisms of family
- Sociological theories of the role of education
- Processes inside schools.
- Patterns of educational achievement
- Factors affecting educational achievement
Sociological research methods
- Usefulness of different types of data
- Methods of research
- Sampling processes
- Practical issues affecting research
- Ethical issues affecting research